Friday, August 12, 2005

As long as I'm being crotchety...

I have no great love for Gov. Rod Blagojevich - but I again have a giant "who cares?" about this tattoo veto. Most people get tattoos while drunk, anyway - so the 21 kind of matches. Besides, who is really losing - aside from the laser surgery business? When I was 18, I would have run off and had some huge portrait of Morrissey tattooed on my back, or something else that I would totally hate myself for now.

I thought of my 'dream tattoo' when I was 22 - it would be the Chicago Police insignia from a glass ashtray my dad had brought home from work once, it said "CITY PROPERTY" under the logo. I thought, what a great tattoo that would make! Then, suddenly, I felt a breeze - it was my father, spinning in his grave, combined with remembering MOM'S TATTOO RULE*

I'm not a fan of tattoos, and it's hard for me to take tattoos seriously outside of a tavern environment - at work, I am pretty amused by the hardass punk rock tattoos that are essentially telling me what a sellout this person is for 'working for the man.' I don't think tattoos should be banned, I just don't see what the big deal is about having to be 21 to get one - unless you own a tattoo parlor on the IL/IN border and have people cruising past you on the way to get cheap cigarettes, fireworks, and that Orange County Choppers tattoo they want so badly.

OK - I have been enough of an old woman today. No more bloggin'!

*My mother had the greatest tattoo rule of all time. I will bold-type it for emphasis, and put quotation marks around it:
"If I ever see a tattoo on any of you kids, I will take you right back to the tattoo parlor and have it tattooed on your forehead."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
« chicago blogs »

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Web Counters eXTReMe Tracker