Saturday, November 19, 2005
Friday, November 18, 2005
This Week's Skiles Face Nominees
This week, I am using a new Skiles Face image. This is kind of a "Yeah, I'm talking to YOU" kind of face. So, from the sublime Julie Andrews and all things good, to the recipients of this week's Skiles Face awards:
- People who pass on the right. Was it really worth it? To scoot your Jetta around me to cut in line, just to be in front of me at the next stoplight? Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, Western Avenue commuters.
- The woman who hangs up her panties to dry in our laundry room. Are you that cheap? Or are you afraid your undies will shrink? Either way, honey, take 'em upstairs to dry in the privacy of your own apartment. I don't need to see that! Yeah, I'm talking to YOU!
- Evanston Pedestrians. Hey, there's this thing? It's called a crosswalk. Also, if I have a green light, it means I get to go - it does not mean that you can saunter across the street. Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, Northwestern Students/PhDs!
- Mother Nature. What's up with going from 60 Degrees to 25 overnight? Mother Nature, I give you the Skiles Face!
- The Internet. Why hasn't the Skiles Face become a national, or at least regional, catch phrase yet? Why isn't Mike North all over this? Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, Mike North!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
In my world, every day is Julie Andrews Day, down to my Fraulien Maria haircut. Julie Andrews appeared at Book Expo last year at McCormick Place, and I actually lost it while she was signing my book. She was so gracious and kind, and classy, and her lipstick perfectly matched her suit. So, so beautiful. So, so radiant! I heart YOU, Mrs. Edwards.
Chicago Tribune Mayor Daley declares 'Julie Andrews Day' in Chicago
Monday, November 14, 2005
This Week's Recipient of the Skiles Face...
Flying home went smoothly, except for the man sitting in front of Scratch who was squirmier than our 5 year old nephew, William. Scratch's knees took a beating from the seat going up, down, back, and forth for the entire 75 minutes in the air. Old Man in front of us, you get the Skiles Face!
And finally, businesses who exploit Christmas and the Baby Jesus to the point of nausea? Big time, holiday, Santa Hat wearing Skiles Face to you!
Even though we were only gone for a couple of days, there's no way I can fit everything we experienced into one post. So tonight I will just give some impressions, and then elaborate more when time permits.
Knoxville, TN: Beautiful, new airport. Perhaps the only thing missing is a breakfast option. We flew home early this morning, and just weren't in the mood for Ruby Tuesday's at 8AM.
Pigeon Forge, TN: Have you ever been to Wisconsin Dells? How about Branson? Then, folks, you've been to Pigeon Forge. I have som fun pictures of 'the strip' that I will share later in the week.
Dollywood! What a nice, clean park. Unfortunately, many of the craft-based attractions were closed for the season - that seems to be the heart and soul of the park. It was Christmas in Dollywood time, which meant everything was head-to-toe Christmas lights, angels, and references to the Baby Jesus. It was seriously enough to annoy Jesus himself.
Anyway, I want to get to the weekly SkilesFace nominations... so to keep your interest for future TN posts, I give you this photo of us with the queen herself! I'm very disappointed in my hair for this picture, it's very helmet-y. But how could I ever look glamorous next to that anyway? It wasn't worth trying too hard for.