Monday, August 13, 2007

Viva Ecuador!


If you didn't know before, you know now: This is the flag of Ecuador. It was displayed on many, many cars yesterday for the Ecuador parade. While I did not see the actual parade, it made quite a dent in Sunday traffic on the northwest side.

I have to be honest and say I have never understood the flag-on-your-car thing. I'm all about pride in your heritage. I've attended Irish fests and German fests my whole life. My mom took us to Italian fest and Polish fest too, because it was fun to learn about other cultures by standing on the closed-off street and eating. But not once did we ever hang a flag out of our car, or tack one
down to the hood.

If I weren't the lazy oaf that I am, I would research this phenomenon. Is this common in the country of origin, to do this on the national independence day? Who started this trend? Do they make special "car" flags? How much do they cost? These are questions that need answers. Call Walter Jacobsen out of retirement already!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
« chicago blogs »

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Web Counters eXTReMe Tracker