Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Sweet, Sweet Rock
So, last night we had our asses rocked by none other than WEEZER. But this was not the loving, bespectacled, muppet-lurving Weez, it was the pyrotechnic, hard rockin', lasik surgery havin' Weezer. They played inbetween The Kaiser Cheifs (who reminded me of Adam Ant) and Foo Fighters. Thoughts:
- Weezer = Yay. At one point the drummer was up front playing guitar and they broke out into Song 2 by Blur, which if you don't know it is the 'woo hoo' song.
- Weezer also played a nice happy cover of Foo Fighters' Big Me, which if you don't know it is the Footos video song.
- Foo Fighters have become some kind of screaming arena rock behemoth! While I loved the show, it was not exactly the Foo I love so much.
- Grohl talked about spending summers with family in Evanston, and seeing ROTA and Naked Raygun at the Cubby Bear circa 1982. I was 9 in 1982 and scoffed, until Scratch pointed out that Grohl would have been about 13, the same age...
- As my nephew, who we took to the concert (along with his 13 year old friend.) So, OK. I'll buy it, especially since I saw ROTA at Medusa's when I was about that age, even though my first 'all ages show...'
- Was at the Riviera, where I saw Husker Du around 1987. Pink Punk - I was born to love all things gay!
- Hey, remember when the Cubby Bear had all ages shows? I saw Murphy's Law there! And the Toasters, and various other ska bands! When did the CB cross over from OK rock club to Dockers commercial? Can anyone pinpoint the exact date/time?
Enough bullet points. Back to work!