Thursday, March 15, 2007

Not So Good in the Hood, After All

If you don't know where Emmerson Park is, I'll tell you. It's over by Ridge & Granville. Across the street from the luxury townhomes built where the Philips (catch the spirit of 76) used to be. About 6 blocks from the sparkling yet completely crappy new Target on Peterson. And a stone's throw from Misericordia Home. There used to be a video store and a Mallo's Char-Burger place. It's a pretty nice neighborhood actually, it was even before the construction came in. I mean, that park has tennis courts.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I was more shocked to see Emmerson park make the paper than the fact that this incident happened. I'm pretty sure it's a bad thing. I'm really sorry for the family that this happened to, and I respect the hell out of both of them for what they did. But reading the article I just knew what was going to happen.

Hey people who didn't grow up here? Just an FYI for you. There is no such thing as a completely safe neighborhood in this city. I grew up with the phrase "block to block" and I think it still applies, gentrification be damned. Look at this family - the guy grew up going to that park, and that happened to him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
« chicago blogs »

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Web Counters eXTReMe Tracker